Monday, July 03, 2006

M. Swaim's Introduction

As from the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks, so do one's possessions also give insight into a person. I wish this were not so.

Though the revelation of my own heart is more accurately viewed by looking at my iTunes player (a subject I may explore in detail someday), I must confess that my accumulation of trinkets also gives insight into my own manifestation of the human condition.

They range in nature from mildly useful to utterly useless, things accumulated out of a desire for kitsch, either on my part or on the part of others exercised on my behalf. And while I do not ever intend to become fully and starkly utilitarian, I do believe that some of it can go.

The method of disposal is almost as important to me as the decision of whether or not to dispose. A first instinct is always to sell something you see as destructive of your own soul to keep. However, if something is inherently bad to own, selling it only enslaves a new owner, and the tax deduction garnered by a charitably intended donation is hardly worth the cost of training the lower class to use their meager means to purchase junk. Therefore, I will set out to determine not only whether or not something should be kept, but through what avenue the dismissal should take effect.

I hope to journey in this project a wiser, and progressively less materially laden, individual.

M. Swaim_, Introduction_

No comments: